Going out for a camping adventure with your friends or your family has always been a delightful idea. You plan so many things and think of all those adventures under the open sky. Yes, and of course sleeping in a tent. That is a most interesting part of the whole adventure, isn’t it? Yes of course, and with so many types of tents available in the market nowadays you need to choose the perfect one for your trip. Now that you planning for a camping trip let us get to know a little about the tents that you can choose for your trip.
- Sleeping and sitting capacity
- What are the types of tents?
- Most important features
- The best 10 camping tents for outdoor
- 1. Coleman Instant Cabin
- 2. Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow
- 3. Marmot Limelight Tent
- 4. Wenzel Alpine Tent
- 5. Mountainsmith Morrison Tent
- 6. Coleman Red Canyon Tent
- 7. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent
- 8. Mountain Trails Grand Pass Tent
- 9. FiveJoy Instant Pop Up Tent
- 10. HIGH PEAK South Col 4 Season
Sleeping and sitting capacity
While choosing the tent and the gazebo model, the first thing to keep in mind is your group size. You might need extra sleeping capacity just in case your friend brings in his pet or another friend. No industry standard as such which defines the per-person tent dimensions. So if you are trying to figure out the tent and gazebo capacity rating, assume for a close fit. And in case you need more room, upsize it by one person. 7’ x 7’ to 14’ x 22’ is the typical gazebo size. Make sure that:
- you and your friends are not claustrophobic
- do not toss and turn while sleeping
- can sleep well even with elbow room space
Related: Our Review of the 10 Best Camping Hammocks To Discover The Outdoors
What are the types of tents?
Which tent is right for you? Temporary or permanent gazebos are used to beautify the backyards or gardens. Wood, stone, and vinyl are the three principal materials used to make the gazebos. Pine or cedar wood have excellent durability, especially when painted with latex. Vinyl flooring does not require extra maintenance and if you are looking for monumental style, go for the stone gazebos.
Choose the peak height and the cabin styles for tents depending on where you are setting them up. 3+ season tents are suitable for summer trips while 4-Season tents can withstand the inhospitable weather. Buy a rainfly to fit over the roof during rain or for extra warmth.
“Gingerbread” gazebos have standard or Victorian braces. Choose sliding, bay or folding windows and louvers depending on the site. Asphalt shingles, cedar shakes, metal or lattices are the different roofing options.
It’s always nice to have accessories like stakes and anchors to support various site conditions. Dustpan, broom, floor mat, seam sealer, utility cord, ventilation fan (battery powered) are some of the common tent as well as gazebo accessories which should be kept handy. Gear loft, which is an optional interior mesh, can be tucked in tents to be used as shelves. A footprint is equally helpful which prevents the tent from catching water rocks, twigs, and dirt from the floor.
Tents are in fashion these days. With the summers just around the corner, the shops are busy in displaying their tent collections. The most popular among the tents are:
- Dome tents – As the name suggests this tent has a dome shape structure. This tent comes with three or four hoops which should intersect to form the shape.
- Hoop tents – This is a very versatile tent that can be used by campers for easy pitching. The walls are curved to give more space.
- Tunnel tents – These are elongated tents that ensure good sleep where you can stretch.
- Pop up tents – These are the most popular among the beginners because of its ease of pitching.
- Geodesic tents – These are professional tents that offer warmth in the wintry nights. These tents are large and can accommodate more than one person.
While there are a few more types of tents available in the market these happen to be the most sold ones.
Most important features
The most important features for choosing the best tents are:
- Tent fabric – The fabric or the material that are commonly used for tents are nylon, polyester, PVC coated canvas and polycotton.
- Tent Size – The size of the tent will depend on how many of you are going on the trip. If you are having a big group, getting a 5 man tent would be fine. Otherwise, a couple’s tent is a great way.
- Budget – Yes this is important as you cannot spend the exorbitant amount on the tents. You need to think about its usage and utility for future.
- Weather Conditions – This is important. You need to choose a tent that will be favorable for the place you are camping it. If it is a cold place it would be a good idea to take PVC coated canvas for better insulation.
- Strength – The strength of the tents will depend upon pegs, high-quality poles, and guy lines. So choose wisely.
- Weight – Make sure that you are taking as a light tent as you can. Carrying the tent can be a big issue if you are high steep hills.
- Pitching – You can get some online manuals if you are a beginner. However, if there is a pro in your gang then it will make things easier.
The best 10 camping tents for outdoor
Here is a look at some of the best camping tents that you can buy for yourself. They can handle all your needs and offer you the best camping experience you’ve always wanted.
1. Coleman Instant Cabin
The Coleman Instant Tent is one of the easiest to pitch tents that you can find. It takes just a minute to pitch or take down the tent. This is a spacious tent giving you the privilege of setting two queen sized airbeds.
- Can fit in 2 queen-sized airbeds
- Comes with two storage pockets
- Made from rugged Polyguard fabric
- Comes attached with WeatherTec system
- Comes integrated with vented rainfly
- Comes with Illumiline reflective guy lines
- Comes with pre-attached poles for the instant cabin.
2. Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow
Nothing can match the excitement of going on for a safari in the jungle. SO if you are thinking of giving it a shot with your buddies this time then here is a product that your friends would love for the trip. The Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Canvas Tent, Deluxe is the one.
- The tent is made from Hydra-Shield cotton duck canvas
- The silicone finish makes the tent watertight
- The tent comes with Flex-bow frame made from tempered and spring steel rods.
- The tent can accommodate 6 persons in a compact design
- The windows and vents come with no-see-um screen mesh
3. Marmot Limelight Tent
The Marmot Limelight Tent is one of the no frill and simple tent you can get. It is great for beginners and comes with fewer complications. However, The tent is very good for short camping trips and good for couples and young children.
- The tent comes with full coverage fly
- It is very light weight
- It can be easily pitched and taken down
- The tent comes with easily folding options
- The tent is spacious enough for two people
- Comes with two doors and Weld window
- It gives great protection in the wet weather
4. Wenzel Alpine Tent
The Wenzel Alpine Tent – 3 Person is lightweight, easy to pitch and take down kind of a tent that can accommodate 3 people. So it is perfect for a small family with one child. The Penta dome tent with removable fly contains a single room with D style door and mesh window.
- The tent comes with closable mesh window and D style door with zipper
- It has gear loft and hanging gear pocket
- It also have integrated mud mat along with drainage strip
- It comes with pole pockets and fiberglass frame for easy pitching
- The 8 pounds tent is made from polyester with a polyurethane coating
- A duffle bag is included with the tent for storage
5. Mountainsmith Morrison Tent
The Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent makes it really fun and easy while you are going on a camping trip for the weekend. This tent is perfect for a place from where you can have a great view of nature. This tent is mainly for three seasons and accommodates 2 people. So it is the perfect couple’s tent for you.
- The tent is a classic two person’s tent
- It comes with a vestibule design with two doors with zippers
- It is supported by two poles in a criss-cross manner
- The tent has bathtub floor that has taped seams
- It has 35 sq ft of the main floor and 14 sq ft of vestibule space
- It comes with 185T polyester rainfly and 2,000-millimeter-rated polyurethane coating.
6. Coleman Red Canyon Tent
The Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent is one of the most popular family camping tents that can accommodate 8 persons. Well yes, you can take your whole family for a camping trip now with just one tent. Made from high-quality fabric this tent comes with a D-style door with zippers. The tent is spacious enough to accommodate airbeds and foldable furniture.
- The tent measures up to 17 feet by 10 feet and a height of 72 inches
- It gives the facility of walking inside the tent
- The tent comes with room separators that can create 3 rooms
- The Weathertec System of Coleman’s will keep you dry even in the wet weather on your camping trip
- It comes with separate storage bags for the poles, tent, and stakes
- The Variflo adjustable venting system keeps the inside fresh with proper airflow.
7. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent
The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1 Tent: 1-Person 3-Season is classic and simple one person tent that does not require much expertise to pitch. It is an all weather tent that protects you from rain as well as the cold winter.
- The tent is made from Polyester taffeta
- It comes with Half mesh walls increase ventilation that increase ventilation inside
- It has Vestibule for gear storage
- The tent comes with weatherproof fly buckles required for maximum adjustability and protection
- The floors is made of 2000mm coating of 75D 185T Poly taffeta
- It is a free standing tent with two aluminum poles
8. Mountain Trails Grand Pass Tent
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass Tent is perfect for those who are into mountaineering and climbing high up on the hills. The tent can accommodate 10 persons and comes with great features that are great for any mountaineering adventure. The tent is more for professionals.
- The tent of made from high-quality nylon
- The dome shaped tent gives headspace for the users
- The fiberglass frame and the pin and ring system makes it easy to pitch at high altitude
- The mesh roof vents and the windows on both sides offer excellent ventilation
- It comes with D-style doors
- The hooped fly frame gives extra protection from rain
9. FiveJoy Instant Pop Up Tent
The FiveJoy 4-Person Instant Pop-Up Tent – Two Double-Doors Two Windows – Setup and Tear Down in Seconds is a fantastic tent that can accommodate 4 persons quite lavishly.
- The floor area is 6 feet 7 inches by 4 feet 4 inches
- The outer tent fabric is PU-coated 190T polyester
- The inner tent fabric is PU-coated 210D Oxford
- It comes with 6 guy lines, 10 pegs and 1 carry bag
- It comes with two double doors and two windows
- It offers 3 seasons shelter
10. HIGH PEAK South Col 4 Season
The HIGH PEAK South Col 4 Season Backpacking Tent 3 person 9.7 lbs! is an all weather tent as it can give protection from 4 seasons. It is a very lightweight tent given its space and size. The tent comes with lots of features.
- The tent is made from high-quality Rip-Stop Polyester with Polyurethane coating
- It can sustain high winds
- It can also sustain heavy snow
- It is very easy to pitch and take down
- It comes with Treated Polyester Floor with Polyurethane coating
- There are 2 vestibules made by the rainfly for the dry storage of gears
Camping with friends and family is a favorite pastime for many of us. Most of us love to go camping outdoors. As teenagers, you probably have spent a night out in the woods, with a tent.